Judge dismisses case against suspected LA 'Skid Row Stabber'August 10, 2018 11:38pm

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A judge agreed Friday to dismiss murder charges against a man suspected of killing 10 homeless men in Los Angeles in the 1970s because he only has six months to live.

At a hearing Friday morning, Bobby Joe Maxwell's sister Rosie Harmon burst into tears when the Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Larry Fidler dismissed Maxwell's case following a request from prosecutors.

Harmon called her mother right after the hearing, sharing authorities' decision that came nearly four decades after Maxwell was jailed in 1979.

"While Mr. Maxwell was hospitalized, there were sheriffs sitting with him 24/7 and she had to get permission as to when she could come and visit from the sheriff," Maxwell's attorney Pierpont Laidley said.

"Now he is a free man, she'll be able to visit just like any other visitors," Laidley said.

The 68-year-old has been comatose since last December when he suffered a heart attack and will likely never recover, Deputy District Attorney Robert Grace said.

Maxwell was convicted in the 1980s of two killings. The appeals court overturned Maxwell's convictions decades later after it found that he was the victim of a notorious jailhouse snitch who committed perjury in his two convictions.

Court documents show the appeals court called the case's jailhouse informant, Sidney Storch, a "habitual liar."

The case against Maxwell appeared thin until Storch emerged. The only physical evidence, the appeals court said, was a palm print found on a bench in an area Maxwell frequented. Storch, who was Maxwell's cellmate for three weeks, read about the print in news accounts and said he asked Maxwell about it.

He claimed that Maxwell confessed he had made a mistake failing to wear gloves during the stabbings. Maxwell denied making the comment.

In 2013, prosecutors refiled five murder charges against him.

Grace said prosecutors moved expeditiously to make a decision once they confirmed that Maxwell is unlikely to regain health and that he would continue to receive acute medical care at the hospital once he's released from custody.

Grace called the dismissal a "compassionate release" and stressed there was no finding of Maxwell's guilt or innocence. Prosecutors will seek to refile the charges if Maxwell recovers.

Maxwell's attorneys said they are absolutely ready to prove his innocence.

"Mr. Maxwell has always insisted that he was innocent, and has fought to prove his innocence for forty years," another of Maxwell's lawyers, Frederick Alschuler, said.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

This undated photo provided by the U.S. Attorney's Office shows Omar Abdulsattar Ameen. The refugee from Iraq was arrested Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2018, in Northern California on a warrant alleging that he killed an Iraqi policeman while fighting for the Islamic State organization. (U.S. Attorney's Office via AP)
US officials: Ex-IS fighter accepted in US as refugee
FILE - In this Jan. 24, 2018, file photo California Attorney General Xavier Becerra talks during a news conference in Sacramento, Calif. The California Supreme Court has made it easier for some immigrant children who are abused or abandoned by a parent to seek a U.S. visa to avoid deportation. Becerra said in court documents that the case affected a "substantial portion" of the thousands of children who have fled to the U.S. from Central America and Mexico and settled in California. (AP Photo/Rich Pedroncelli, File)
California high court rules for immigrant kids in visa fight
This undated photo provided by the Parker County Sheriff's Office shows Roy Oliver. Attorneys for the former Texas police officer Oliver charged with murder in the fatal shooting of a black 15-year-old have requested an emergency stay to delay his trial, which is scheduled to begin Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018. The fired Balch Springs officer Oliver was charged after opening fire last year into a moving car filled with five black teenagers, killing Jordan Edwards. (Parker County Sheriff's Office via AP, File)
The Latest: Brother details seconds before teen's killing
Ex-ICE agent pleads not guilty to sexual assaultA former special agent with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement has been arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting two women and using his position to make sure they didn't report the crimes
Erie Catholic Bishop Lawrence T. Persico concludes a news conference at the St. Mark Catholic Center in Erie, Pa., on Tuesday, Aug. 14, 2018. In responding to the state Attorney General's grand jury report on sex abuses in the Catholic Diocese of Erie and five other Pennsylvanian Roman Catholic dioceses, Persico apologized to the victims and detailed steps the diocese is taking to keep abuse from occurring again. (Christopher Millette/Erie Times-News via AP)
Pennsylvania bishops mostly silent on prosecutor's challenge
More charges for suspect in deadly LA store standoffAdditional charges have been filed against a man accused of shooting at police before taking hostages during a deadly standoff at a Los Angeles grocery store last month
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices