Former Tour champion Ullrich arrested over alleged attackAugust 10, 2018 5:09pm

BERLIN (AP) — Former Tour de France champion Jan Ullrich was arrested early Friday and is being investigated for attempted manslaughter after allegedly attacking an escort at a Frankfurt hotel.

"It seems Mr. Ullrich and an escort woman had a dispute and that he attacked her," Frankfurt police spokesperson Carina Lerch said. "She alerted the hotel staff and they called police."

Lerch said the retired German cyclist was under the influence of drugs and alcohol.

The 31-year-old woman needed medical treatment. Lerch said no further details could be given on her condition while police were investigating.

Later, a police statement said Ullrich had resisted arrest.

"As part of the police interrogation, the woman provided extensive information on the attacks of the accused. The accused so far makes use of his right to refuse to testify," the statement said.

"Currently, the accused is being investigated for attempted manslaughter and dangerous assault. The investigation has not yet been completed."

Police said Ullrich was to be released later Friday after consultation with the prosecutor's office in Frankfurt "because the conditions for detention are not met."

News agency dpa reported that the 44-year-old Ullrich had been arrested the week before in Mallorca, where he lives, after an incident on the property of his neighbor, actor Til Schweiger.

On Monday, Ullrich told German tabloid Bild of personal problems.

"The separation from (my wife) Sara and distance from my children, whom I have not seen since Easter and have barely spoken to, have had a great effect on me. I have done things as a result that I very much regret," Ullrich told the mass circulation daily.

Ullrich, the only German to win the Tour de France, was dogged by doping allegations during his career and admitted to German magazine Focus in 2013 that he received blood-doping treatment from Spanish doctor Eufemiano Fuentes.

"Almost everyone took performance-enhancing substances then. I took nothing that the others didn't also take," the 1997 Tour champion said then.

Ullrich served a two-year ban for doping in 2012, five years after he retired.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

FILE - This undated file photo provided by the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office shows Nicholas Van Varenberg, the son of actor Jean-Claude Van Damme. Van Varenberg has pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct for holding his roommate at knifepoint at their Tempe, Ariz., apartment last year. Van Varenberg had a change of plea hearing Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2018. He's now scheduled to be sentenced on Oct. 3. (Maricopa County Sheriff's Office via AP, File)
Van Damme's son pleads guilty in Arizona knife incident
Brazilian prosecutors charge 'Dr. Bumbum' with murderBrazilian prosecutors have filed a murder charge against celebrity plastic surgeon Denis Cesar Barros Furtado over the death of a patient after the doctor gave her injections to enlarge her buttocks
FILE - In this Oct. 2, 2008 file photo, Juelz Santana arrives at the VH1 Hip Hop Honors in New York.  Santana has admitted that he tried to get a gun onto a plane at a New Jersey airport earlier this year. Santana, whose real name is LaRon James, pleaded guilty Thursday, Aug. 16, 2018 to possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and carrying a weapon on an aircraft. The 36-year-old Totowa resident faces up to 20 years in prison when he’s sentenced Dec. 12. (AP Photo/Jason DeCrow, File)
Rapper Juelz Santana pleads guilty to airport gun charge
FILE - In this Sept. 14, 2017 file photo Young Thug attends the 3rd Annual Diamond Ball in New York. Police say the rapper was arrested in Los Angeles after officers found a concealed firearm inside his car. Officer Drake Madison says Friday, Aug. 17, 2018, the rapper, whose real name is Jeffery Lamar Williams, was booked on a weapons possession charge. He was being held on $35,000 bail. (Photo by Evan Agostini/Invision/AP, File)
Rapper Young Thug booked on weapons charge in Los Angeles
FILE - In this Nov. 17, 2015 file photo, R. Kelly performs the national anthem before an NBA basketball game between the Brooklyn Nets and the Atlanta Hawks in New York.  An Atlanta-area property company is suing R. Kelly for $203,400 over "extensive damage" to two homes he rented. SB Property Management Global, LLC., based in East Point, filed the lawsuit Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2018. It says one home suffered damage to electric wiring, flooring, and windows and was missing items including a stove, furniture, ceiling fans and 22 light fixtures.  (AP Photo/Frank Franklin II, File)
Georgia company sues R. Kelly over damage to rental homes
Suspect in fatal Indiana road rage beating caught in FloridaAuthorities say a man suspected of beating a 60-year-old man who subsequently died of a heart attack during an apparent road rage attack in northeastern Indiana has been arrested in Florida
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices