The Latest: Dortmund bus attack suspect bet against the teamApril 21, 2017 11:13am

BERLIN (AP) — The Latest on the Borussia Dortmund team bus bombing (all times local):

1:10 p.m.

German prosecutors say they believe a 28-year-old German-Russian man suspected of carrying out a bombing attack on the Borussia Dortmund soccer team's bus acted alone.

Prosecutors' spokeswoman Frauke Koehler told reporters Friday that according to the latest information, there are "no indications of possible helpers or accomplices."

Suspect Sergej W. was arrested by authorities early Friday morning in the vicinity of the southwestern city of Tuebingen and was expected to be brought before a judge later Friday.

The suspect came to the attention of investigators because he had made "suspicious options purchases" — taken out a five-figure loan to bet on a drop in the clubs' stock on the day of the attack.

The bombing wounded one player, central defender Marc Bartra, who had to have surgery on his arm and wrist and will be out of action for several weeks.

___

12:45 p.m.

German prosecutors say the 28-year-old man arrested on suspicion of attacking the Borussia Dortmund team bus had taken out a five-figure loan to bet on a drop in the clubs' stock by purchasing financial derivatives.

Spokeswoman Frauke Koehler says investigators are still trying to determine how big a profit the suspect might have made.

Koehler said in a statement Friday that the German-Russian dual citizen, identified only as Sergej W., bought most of the financial derivatives on April 11, the day of the attack.

The prosecutors said there were no indications that the suspect was aided by others.

___

6:15 a.m.

A 28-year-old German-Russian citizen was arrested Friday in Germany on suspicion of bombing the bus carrying the Borussia Dortmund soccer team in an attack last week that officials alleged was motivated by financial greed.

A Dortmund player and a policeman were injured in the triple blasts April 11 as the bus was heading to the team's stadium for a Champions League game. Investigators found notes at the scene claiming responsibility on behalf of Islamic extremists, but quickly doubted their authenticity.

Federal prosecutors said the suspect, identified only as Sergej W. in keeping with German privacy law, was arrested early Friday in or near the southwestern city of Tuebingen. He faces charges of attempted murder, causing an explosion and serious bodily harm.

Prosecutors said he had taken out a loan and bought a large number of put options for shares of Borussia Dortmund, betting on a drop in the share price.

"A significant share price drop could have been expected if a player had been seriously injured or even killed as a result of the attack," they said.

Ralf Jaeger, the top security official in North Rhine-Westphalia state, said the suspect had hoped to earn millions.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

FIFA audit official admits bribery in US federal probeThe sprawling American investigation of bribery and corruption in international soccer has reached into Asia and claimed the first guilty plea from a senior official in the new FIFA leadership
Asia-based FIFA official pleads guilty to corruption chargesAn Asia-based FIFA official has pleaded guilty in a U.S. court to charges relating to bribery and corruption in elections for soccer's world governing body
State's attorney Nadja Niesen talks to media people in Frankfurt, Germany, Thursday, April 27, 2017, after police have arrested a German soldier who had posed as a Syrian refugee on suspicion he was planning an attack, apparently motivated by anti-foreigner sentiment, in a case that German prosecutors said Thursday was "more than strange." (AP Photo/Michael Probst)
German soldier arrested on suspicion of planning attack
Islamic State suspect arrested in western GermanyGerman authorities have arrested a 23-year-old Syrian on suspicion of membership in a terrorist organization for allegedly belonging to the extremist Islamic State group
Germany: Mistakes made in case of soldier planning attackGermany's Interior Ministry says it will "leave no stone unturned" in trying to determine how a Bundeswehr soldier who spoke no Arabic managed to successfully register as a Syrian asylum seeker
FILE - This Friday, March 17, 2017 file photo shows the Champions League trophy during the quarterfinal draw of the UEFA Champions League 2016/17 at the UEFA headquarters, in Nyon, Switzerland. Hotels in Cardiff are completely full for the night of the June 3 UEFA showpiece, even before the semifinals have been played. (Jean-Christophe Bott/Keystone via AP)
Cardiff hotels already full for Champions League final
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices