UN envoy to Libya condemns deadly attack on base in southMay 19, 2017 2:23pm

CAIRO (AP) — The U.N. envoy to Libya has condemned a suspected militia attack on an air base in the country's south that reportedly killed at least 60 soldiers and civilians and wounded dozens.

Martin Kobler expressed his outrage over the attack in a statement released Friday.

He suggested that if the reports were true, the "unprovoked attack on the Buraq al-Shati air base" on Thursday could amount to war crimes and may be prosecuted by the International Criminal Court.

Libya's army, loyal to an east-based parliament, promised a "strong" response to the attack, believed to have been carried out by militias from the country's west.

Libya descended into chaos following the 2011 civil war that toppled and killed dictator Moammar Gadhafi. The oil-rich nation is now split between rival governments and militias.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Forces loyal to LNA seize control of Libyan air baseA spokesman for the Libyan National Army says forces loyal to the LNA have seized control of an air base in the country's south that had been under control of western militiamen
In this Wednesday, May 24, 2017 photo, Hashim Ramadan Abedi appears inside the Tripoli-based Special Deterrent anti-terrorism force unit after his arrest on Tuesday for alleged links to the Islamic State extremist group. Abedi is the brother of Salman Abedi, who has been identified as the man behind the bombing that killed 22 people and wounded scores at an Ariana Grande concert Monday night in Manchester. The Special Deterrent Force says that Hashim confessed both he and his brother were a part of the Islamic State group and that Hashim had been aware of the details of the attack. (Ahmed Bin Salman, Special Deterrent Force via AP)
Father and brother of alleged bomber detained in Libya
Police from the Tactical Aid Unit  prepre to enter Granby House apartments in Manchester England, Wednesday May 24, 2017  in connection to Monday's Manchester explosion. A suicide bomber killed more than 20 people leaving a Ariana Grande  concert at the Manchester Arena on Monday night. (AP Photo/Louise Bolotin)
Investigators explore bomber's links to larger network
Egypt officials say Sinai militants kill 4 security forcesEgyptian security officials say that militants have killed four security personnel in two separate attacks in the northern part of the restive Sinai peninsula, where Islamic militants are most active
Libyan anti-terror official says alleged Manchester bomber phoned mother hours before concert attack, said "forgive me"Libyan anti-terror official says alleged Manchester bomber phoned mother hours before concert attack, said "forgive me"
The Latest: Trump to take travel ban to Supreme CourtAttorney General Jeff Sessions says the Justice Department will ask the Supreme Court to review an appeals court ruling that blocked President Donald Trump's travel ban
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices