Judge confirms Prince's 6 siblings as heirs to his estateMay 19, 2017 9:54pm

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — A judge confirmed Prince's six siblings to be his rightful heirs in a ruling released Friday, bringing them a big step closer to collecting their shares of the music legend's multimillion-dollar estate.

Carver County District Judge Kevin Eide formally declared that Prince died without a will and that his heirs are his sister, Tyka Nelson, and five half-siblings — Sharon Nelson, Norrine Nelson, John R. Nelson, Omarr Baker and Alfred Jackson.

The siblings will still have to wait to inherit their shares of Prince's estate, which court filings suggest has an estimated value of about $200 million, though taxes are expected to consume about half of that.

More than 45 people came forward in the wake of Prince's death, claiming to be his wife, children, siblings or other relatives. Some, including a Colorado prison inmate who said he was Prince's son, were ruled out through DNA testing. Others, such as a woman and girl who claimed to be Prince's niece and grandniece, had their claims rejected as a matter of law.

Some of those people filed appeals, and Eide said that if appellate courts send any of the rejected claimants back to him, he will consider them. And until the appeals are resolved, Eide said the siblings won't be able to collect anything without his approval.

And under state law, others who feel they have credible claims of heirship have a year from the judge's order to come forward with their claims.

Eide previously signaled that the six siblings would likely be named Prince's heirs, but he also had said he wouldn't make the declaration until appeals had been decided. Lawyers for the siblings didn't want to wait, though, saying further delays would increase costs to the estate and impede its efficient administration. The siblings' attorneys didn't immediately reply to phone calls seeking comment Friday.

Attorneys for rejected claimants had urged Eide to wait for appeals to be resolved before naming the heirs. Andrew Stoltmann, a lawyer for the woman and girl who say they are Prince's niece and grand-niece, said Friday that he hadn't seen the new ruling but would examine it and determine whether to appeal it.

Prince died April 21, 2016, of an accidental overdose of fentanyl, a synthetic opioid drug 50 times more powerful than heroin.

Since his death, Prince's Paisley Park studio complex and home has been turned into a museum and concert venue. His estate has also struck deals to make his albums available by streaming, and next month plans to release a remastered "Purple Rain" album as well as two albums of unreleased music and two concert films. The values of those deals and revenue generated from Paisley Park tours have not been disclosed.

__

Follow Amy Forliti on Twitter: https://twitter.com/amyforliti

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Judge: Sound engineer can't publish unreleased Prince tracksA sound engineer who worked with Prince is barred from publishing or disseminating any unreleased recordings that compromise the late superstar's work
In this photo taken April 4, 2017, the Supreme Court Building is seen in Washington. The Supreme Court struck down two congressional districts in North Carolina Monday, May 22, 2017, because race played too large a role in their creation, a decision voting rights advocates said would boost challenges in other states. (AP Photo/J. Scott Applewhite)
High court ruling may give voter rights groups a strong tool
Judge will reconsider ruling blocking sanctuary cities orderA federal judge has agreed to reconsider his ruling blocking President Donald Trump's executive order to cut funding from sanctuary cities that limit cooperation with U.S. immigration authorities
The Latest: Disruptive passenger to get competency examA federal judge in Hawaii has ordered a man who disrupted a flight between Los Angeles and Honolulu to undergo a mental competency evaluation
Judge triples award for people called by Dish NetworkA federal judge in North Carolina has tripled the award for more than 50,000 people on the Do Not Call Registry who were contacted by Dish Network
Appeals court revives challenge to NSA surveillance practiceA federal appeals court says Wikimedia's case challenging the government's practice of collecting certain communications moving on the internet can move forward
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices