French singer pulls out of festivals amid protestsMarch 13, 2018 12:58pm

PARIS (AP) — French rock musician Bertrand Cantat, who was convicted of killing his actress girlfriend 15 years ago, has pulled out of all the festivals he was scheduled to appear in this summer amid a growing wave of protests.

The 54-year-old Cantat, the leader of former rock band Noir Desir, released a solo album last year and recently started touring. After several dates were canceled by organizers following complaints from women's groups and individuals, Cantat said he took the decision "to put an end to all polemics."

Cantat was sentenced to eight years in prison and served four after beating to death Marie Trintignant in 2003 during a dispute in a hotel room in Lithuania, where she was making a film.

In a statement posted on his Facebook page, Cantat reiterated his "utmost sincere, profound and total compassion to the family and close friends of Marie," but also insisted that he has "paid his debt."

"I wish today, as any given citizen, the right to reintegration," Cantat wrote. "The right to exercise my profession, the right for my close family to live in France without being pressured or slandered. The right for the public to go to my concerts and listen to my music."

He wrote that he understood "being on festival lineups this summer can pose a problem, hence my decision to withdraw." He did not cancel other dates on his tour. A scheduled show in the southern city of Istres later this month was canceled by organizers at the venue.

Cantat returned to the spotlight in October last year after French music magazine Les Inrockuptibles put him on its front cover, drawing criticism from France's gender equality minister Marlene Schiappa amid greater awareness and attention to the issue of violence against women in the wake of the Harvey Weinstein scandal.

Trintignant's mother, the movie director Nadine Trintignant, labelled Cantat's decision to go on stage as "shameful, obscene" and "disgusting."

"I'm wondering what the people going (to his shows) are thinking," Trintignant said on French state TV. "What do they make of the blood, the blows and tears?"

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

Britney Spears lands 1st high fashion campaign with KenzoPopstar Britney Spears has landed herself her first high-fashion modelling campaign as the new face of Kenzo.
Hearing postponed in Rose McGowan drug possession caseA preliminary hearing for actress Rose McGowan on a drug possession charge in Virginia has been postponed until May 3. The hearing was scheduled Wednesday, but was postponed after two prosecution witnesses were unable to get to court during a snowstorm
In this March 12, 2018, photo, a worker removes a portrait of South Korean poet Ko Un from Seoul Metropolitan Library in Seoul, South Korea. The works of Ko, seen as South Korea’s Nobel Prize hopeful, will be erased from textbooks after accusations of lewd acts in public and sexually harassing younger poets. In patriarchal South Korea, the MeToo movement has taken off with unexpected rapidity, toppling male celebrities including a prominent politician. (Kim Do-hoon/Yonhap via AP)
MeToo takes off in South Korea, but justice harder to attain
Cosby wants judge ousted over wife's sex-assault advocacyBill Cosby's lawyers are asking the judge in his upcoming sexual assault retrial to step aside, arguing he could be seen as biased because his wife is a social worker who's described herself as an "advocate for assault victims."
FILE - In this Sept. 23, 2017 file photo, Justin Timberlake performs at the Pilgrimage Music and Cultural Festival in Franklin, Tenn. Timberlake’s Wednesday night concert New York City being postponed due to the spring nor'easter. He added that his Thursday night show at Madison Square Garden would still go on.  (Photo by Amy Harris/Invision/AP, File)
Bad weather forces Justin Timberlake to postpone NYC concert
FILE--In this Dec. 16, 2012, file photo, Miami Dolphins tackle Jonathan Martin stands on the sidelines during the Dolphins' NFL football game against the Jacksonville Jaguars in Miami. Prosecutors say the former lineman has pleaded not guilty to threatening former teammates who had harassed him in the NFL. Los Angeles County prosecutors say Martin appeared in court Tuesday, March 20, 108, and pleaded not guilty to charges of making criminal threats and carrying a loaded firearm.  (AP Photo/Wilfredo Lee, file)
Ex-NFL player Jonathan Martin charged with teammate threats

Related Searches

Related Searches