Nastase says he is cooperating with ITF probe over commentsMay 18, 2017 12:30pm

BUCHAREST, Romania (AP) — Ilie Nastase said Thursday he is fully cooperating with an International Tennis Federation investigation into his foul-mouthed comments and bad behavior last month.

The ITF provisionally suspended the former tennis great after he speculated about the skin color of the baby that Serena Williams is expecting and for outbursts during a Fed Cup match between Romania and Britain.

Nastase said he had responded to accusations made by the ITF and written to apologize to "people who may have been affected or upset" and for "the way they were interpreted." He said he never intended to "affect anyone's well-being."

He also called on the ITF to grant him a hearing to "allow me to personally present my understanding about the relevant events and the conclusions I have reached reflecting on the situation."

The 70-year-old Nastase acknowledged making mistakes and having shortcomings, but stressed "the cause I fight for is tennis, the sport I really love, which I cannot separate from my life."

As Fed Cup captain, Nastase hurled abuse at British player Johanna Konta, captain Anne Keothavong and the umpire. The referee ejected Nastase.

Nastase, a former top-ranked player who won the French Open title in 1973, will not be invited to the Royal Box on Wimbledon's Centre Court, where he was a two-time finalist. He has also been barred from the French Open.

However, he said he was confident that the federation's judges would "use the same standards applied in other cases," and "analyze my reactions ... in their whole context."

Nastase said he would not comment further until the investigation is completed.

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

FILE - In this April 7, 2017, file photo, Jack Sock, of the United States, plays a shot in his match against Jordan Thompson, of Australia, at the Davis Cup World Group quarterfinals in Brisbane, Australia. Sock will be competing in the French Open tennis tournament. (AP Photo/Tertius Pickard, File)
FRENCH OPEN '17: 30 is the new 25 in men's tennis right now
FILE - In this Jan. 28, 2017, file photo, Serena Williams holds up a finger and her trophy after defeating her sister, Venus, in the women's singles final at the Australian Open tennis championships in Melbourne, Australia. Williams wants to help diversify the tech industry now that she is joining a Silicon Valley boardroom for the first time. Online poll taking service SurveyMonkey announced Williams’ appointment to its board on Wednesday, May 24, along with Intuit CEO Brad Smith. (AP Photo/Aaron Favila, File)
Clarification: Serena Williams-Silicon Valley story
In this Jan. 26, 2015 photo, Australian tennis greats Margaret Court, left, and Rod Laver wave during the official launch of the remodeled Margaret Court Arena at the Australian Open tennis championship in Melbourne. Former tennis great and now Christian pastor Court says she will stop using Qantas “where possible” in protest over the Australian airline's promotion of same-sex marriage. “I am disappointed that Qantas has become an active promoter for same-sex marriage," Perth resident Court said in the letter published Thursday, May 25, 2017, in The West Australian newspaper. (AP Photo/Vincent Thian)
Ex-tennis great avoids Qantas over same-sex marriage edict
Siegemund injured at Nuremberg Cup, Bertens advancesHome favorite Laura Siegemund was forced to withdraw during her second-round match at the Nuremberg Cup, while top seeds Kiki Bertens and Yulia Putintseva both progressed
Shvedova becomes 5th player to retire from Nuremberg CupYaroslava Shvedova became the latest player to retire from the Nuremberg Cup when she withdrew injured after losing the first set of her quarterfinal to Misaki Doi of Japan 6-4
Donald Trump Jr. uses a smartphone to take images of a youth golf clinic hosted by professional golfers Brittany Lang, Cristie Kerr and Lydia Ko, of New Zealand, during an event previewing the U.S. Women's Open Championship golf tournament at Trump National Golf Club, Wednesday, May 24, 2017, in Bedminster, N.J. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)
USGA wants focus on Women's Open golf, not Trump's course
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices