Charles Oakley sues Knicks owners, claiming defamationSeptember 12, 2017 7:14pm

NEW YORK (AP) — Former New York Knicks star Charles Oakley sued the team's owners Tuesday, saying he was defamed when they claimed he committed assault and was an alcoholic after his February arrest at a game.

The lawsuit details how Oakley was treated before and after he was forcefully removed from Madison Square Garden during the first quarter of a Feb. 8 Knicks' loss to the Los Angeles Clippers. It seeks unspecified damages.

Oakley was a Knicks fan favorite from 1988 to 1998. He was accused of striking a security guard during the February fracas.

Last month, prosecutors agreed to dismiss charges after six months of good behavior.

Many of the lawsuit's more venomous claims are directed at team owner James Dolan, who was near Oakley when the popular power forward was seen shoving security guards before they pulled him away from his seat.

The lawsuit says that long before the game, Dolan had "constantly disrespected" Oakley, refusing to make eye contact or shake his hand during meetings, denying him fan appreciation nights and making him pay for his own tickets to games.

The lawsuit blames Dolan for Oakley's removal from the game, saying Oakley "was treated like a common criminal" after Dolan directed security to "forcibly remove Mr. Oakley from the Garden and publicly embarrass him on live television."

Oakley asserts through the lawsuit that it was apparent Dolan had directed his ouster when a security guard loudly asked: "Why are you sitting so close to Mr. Dolan?"

Oakley told the guard he had done nothing wrong and was returning to his seat when two guards grabbed him and pushed him to the ground, demanding he leave the stadium, the lawsuit says.

"As if their public mistreatment of Mr. Oakley was not embarrassing and shameful enough, over the ensuing days defendants Dolan and (Madison Square Garden) launched a coordinated and defamatory public relations campaign against Mr. Oakley, baselessly accusing him of abusing fans and staff, acting inappropriately and struggling with alcoholism," according to the lawsuit.

The Madison Square Garden Co. called the lawsuit "frivolous" and "nothing more than another attempt by Mr. Oakley to garner attention. We will deal with this accordingly."

Oakley has suffered irreparably harm to his name and career and has been discriminated against "based on the false perception that he is an alcoholic, all in a transparent attempt to denigrate his standing among Knicks fans," the lawsuit says.

"However, as he did throughout his playing career, Mr. Oakley has refused to walk to the bench in shame," it adds, saying he was suing to set the record straight and hold the defendants responsible for "reprehensible conduct."

The lawsuit surmises that Dolan's treatment of Oakley might have stemmed from "resentment for Mr. Oakley's passionate following among Knicks' fans, anger that Mr. Oakley would not 'kiss the ring' of the heir to the Madison Square Garden empire or petty insecurities driven by his own personal demons."

Page 1 of 1

More Stories Like This

FILE - In this Feb. 18, 2014, file photo, Phoenix Suns forwards Marcus Morris, left, and his twin brother, Markieff, talk on bench as the Suns played the Denver Nuggets in during an NBA basketball game in Denver. Opening statements will begin Monday, Sept. 18, 2017, for the trial of the twins, who allegedly assaulted a man outside a Phoenix recreation center two years ago. (AP Photo/David Zalubowski, File)
NBA players go on trial in 2015 Phoenix assault
The Latest: Lawyers for NBA twins question prosecutor's caseA prosecutor says NBA players Marcus and Markieff Morris participated in an "orchestrated attack" against a man in 2015 that left him with a broken nose and other injuries
Ohio State: Dismiss ex-player's lawsuit over image useOhio State is asking a judge to throw out a lawsuit by one of its most famous football stars who alleges the university used ex-athletes' photos without permission and robbed them of compensation
The Latest: Lawyer laments university attempt to spike suitThe attorney for one of Ohio State's most famous football stars says he's disappointed the university is trying to get a judge to throw out a lawsuit alleging the university used ex-athletes' photos without permission
FILE - In this Sept. 21, 2015, file photo, James Blake arrives at New York's City Hall. A 2015 incident where former pro tennis star Blake was mistakenly arrested in New York City has become the subject of a disciplinary trial for the arresting officer accused of using excessive force. The 37-year-old Blake is expected to testify at a proceeding starting Tuesday, Sept. 19, 2017. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig, File)
Ex-tennis star Blake testifies about his mistaken arrest
From left, Gerald Bowman, defense attorney Jim Belanger, Markieff Morris and Markieff Morristalk appear in the courtroom following opening statements made by attorneys Monday, Sept. 18, 2017, in Phoenix. The NBA players went on trial Monday on felony assault charges stemming from a 2015 beating that prosecutors labeled as an "orchestrated attack" and defense lawyers dismissed as a ploy to get money out of the athletes. (AP Photo/Clarice Silber)
NBA players' trial resumes with testimony of man attacked
AdChoices

Related Searches

Related Searches

AdChoices