Ask Kim


Dormant Accounts Pose a Risk for Buy-and-Hold Investors

My mutual fund company sent a letter saying that if it doesn't hear from me soon, it will turn over my account assets to the state. My address hasn't changed. How could this happen? - G.P., Baltimore

SEE ALSO: How to Track Down Unclaimed Assets

Many states changed their abandoned-property laws and now take over accounts much earlier than they used to. This is a growing problem for buy-and-hold investors.

In the past, financial institutions would turn over accounts to the state as abandoned if they hadn't heard from you for seven years after mail to you had been returned as undeliverable. Now, many states can take over your account if a financial institution hasn't heard from you for three or five years, even if your address hasn't changed, says Tamara Salmon, associate general counsel for the Investment Company Institute, a mutual fund trade association (see for details).

You can file an abandoned-property claim and get your money, but you may miss out on any gains or dividends after it was sold because the state can liquidate your assets. (Search your state's database at or

Salmon advises contacting your financial institutions at least every three years to let them know an account is active. Even logging into your account online can count as activity at some firms. And respond to any letter like the one you received--after verifying that it's legitimate.


Copyright 2018 The Kiplinger Washington Editors

More from

See more stories in this category

Back to Previous Page

Ask Kim

What You'll Pay for Medicare Premiums in 2019

[Question]How much will I pay for Medicare Part B in 2019?[Answer]The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid...

Social Security Benefits to Increase 2.8% with...

The Social Security Administration announced that benefits will increase by 2.8% in 2019. That is the...

Deducting Disaster Losses on Your Tax Return

[QUESTION]My house was damaged by Hurricane Florence, and I have a 2% deductible on my homeowners...

New Rules on Capital Gains

What are the long-term capital gains rates under the new tax law? - C.C., Williamsburg, Va.SEE ALSO:...

How Parents Can Access Information on Their...

My son will be starting college next year. He'll be 18. Can we still get his grades and health-related...

Next Page >
Provided by Kiplinger