Ask Kim


Smart Financial Gifts for New Grads
[QUESTION]My granddaughter is graduating from college, and I want to give her a generous gift that helps her build her financial future. Any ideas? --D.L., San Francisco

[ANSWER]One suggestion is to give your granddaughter money to contribute to a Roth IRA. She can stash up to $5,500 a year in a Roth as long as she earns that much from a job, and the money she actually uses to fund the account can be a gift. Starting her on the savings habit early can make a huge difference in her future, says Mari Adam, a certified financial planner in Boca Raton, Fla., who is helping her adult children fund their Roths. If your granddaughter contributes $5,500 every year to a Roth starting at 22, then bumps up annual contributions to $6,500 at age 50, when she becomes eligible for catch-up contributions, then she'll have $1.5 million in tax-free money by age 65 (assuming a return of 7% per year). She can withdraw contributions without taxes or penalties at any time if she needs the money for, say, a house down payment. All withdrawals, including earnings, are tax-free after age 59½. You can open a no-fee Roth at Schwab, TD Ameritrade or Fidelity.

SEE ALSO: 10 Financial Commandments for Your 20s

Other ideas: Some grandparents (and parents) pay off a chunk of student loans. Or you could give her a "professional-start package," says Adam--a lump sum she can use to cover a professional wardrobe, travel costs for job interviews or a car.


Copyright 2017 The Kiplinger Washington Editors

More from

See more stories in this category

Back to Previous Page

Ask Kim

What to Know About Enrolling in Medicare Part B

[Question]I signed up for Medicare Part A when I turned 65, but I didn't enroll in Part B because I...

Beware the Impact on RMDs When Reversing a...

[Question]I'm 73 years old, and I converted money in a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA in 2016. I know...

What Kids Starting Jobs Should Know About Taxes

[Question]My 15-year-old son is starting his first job this summer working in the snack bar at our...

Medicare and Home Care

[Question]My father's health is not good, and he needs someone to come to his home to help him out a...

Paying for Off-Campus Housing with a 529 Plan

[QUESTION]My son will be a sophomore in college in the fall and is living off-campus. He has a...

Next Page >
Provided by Kiplinger