Ask Kim


Two Key Estate-Planning Documents You Need

[Question]What's the difference between a health care proxy and a living will? Should I get both?

[Answer]A health care proxy (also known as a health care power of attorney) lets you designate someone to make medical decisions on your behalf if you can't do so yourself. A living will lets you state your wishes for end-of-life care. It's a good idea to have both documents.

The specific rules for these documents vary by state. Virginia, for example, combines a health care power of attorney and a living will in one document, called an advance directive for health care, which must be signed in front of two witnesses. For more information about the rules, including variations by state, see the American Bar Association's Giving Someone Power of Attorney for Your Health Care guide.

SEE ALSO: 6 Estate-Planning Mistakes Celebrities Made


Copyright 2018 The Kiplinger Washington Editors

More from

See more stories in this category

Back to Previous Page

Ask Kim

What You'll Pay for Medicare Premiums in 2019

[Question]How much will I pay for Medicare Part B in 2019?[Answer]The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid...

Social Security Benefits to Increase 2.8% with...

The Social Security Administration announced that benefits will increase by 2.8% in 2019. That is the...

Deducting Disaster Losses on Your Tax Return

[QUESTION]My house was damaged by Hurricane Florence, and I have a 2% deductible on my homeowners...

New Rules on Capital Gains

What are the long-term capital gains rates under the new tax law? - C.C., Williamsburg, Va.SEE ALSO:...

How Parents Can Access Information on Their...

My son will be starting college next year. He'll be 18. Can we still get his grades and health-related...

Next Page >
Provided by Kiplinger