Ask Kim


Deducting Mortgage Interest on a Vacation Home
[Question]I'm about to buy a lake house as a second home. I plan to go there a few times a month but not live there full-time, and I don't plan to rent it out. Is the mortgage interest tax-deductible?

SEE ALSO: Dreaming of a Vacation Home In Retirement? Here's a Reality Check


Yes. As long as you don't rent out a second home for more than 14 days each year, you can deduct the mortgage interest you pay on it. But your deduction is capped at the interest you pay on up to $1 million of debt on your first and second homes combined. You can also deduct property taxes on your first and second home. All of these deductions are only available if you itemize.

If you change your mind about renting the lake house to others, you'll still be able to deduct the mortgage interest as long as you don't lease it out for more than two weeks a year. And any rental income you receive will be tax-free, too, if you stay within the two-week limit.

SEE ALSO: 10 Dream Waterfront Vacation Homes

If you rent out the house for longer than that, you'll have to report the rental income to the IRS. But you can still deduct some of the mortgage interest and rental expenses, such as insurance and utilities, for the portion of the time that you rent out the house. Calculating the deduction gets complicated because you'll need to determine how much of those costs should be allocated to when you were leasing out the house and when you were personally using it.

For more information about deducting mortgage interest on second homes and the rules for deducting rental expenses, see Tax Planning for Owning a Second Home and Buying a Vacation Home. Also see IRS Publication 530, Tax Information for Homeowners.

SEE ALSO: How Smart a Home BUYER Are You?


Copyright 2017 The Kiplinger Washington Editors

More from

See more stories in this category

Back to Previous Page

Ask Kim

6 Ways to Prevent Water Damage This Winter

[QUESTION]What can I do to avoid water damage this winter? I know my policy doesn't cover flooding,...

Medicare Part D Beneficiaries May Pay Less for...

[QUESTION]What will be happening with the Medicare Part D doughnut hole in 2018? Will it continue to...

File the FAFSA Now for More Financial Aid in...

[QUESTION]My son is a senior in high school, and we'll be applying to colleges this fall. When can I...

How Tax Reform Might Affect Your Roth IRA...

[QUESTION]I'm thinking of converting money from a traditional IRA to a Roth IRA, but I'm hesitant to...

How to Help Victims of Hurricane Maria

[QUESTION]After a month filled with hurricanes, I've been particularly worried about the victims of...

Next Page >
Provided by Kiplinger