Ask Kim


Adding a Roth IRA in Retirement

I retired as a real estate agent, but I still receive a few thousand dollars a year for referrals to other agents. Can I contribute to a Roth IRA?

SEE ALSO: Be Roth Smart: An Investment Guide to Roth IRAs

[Answer]Yes. You must use money you earn from working to contribute to a Roth, and your referrals, along with any wages, commissions, self-employment income and alimony, qualify.


Copyright 2018 The Kiplinger Washington Editors

More from

See more stories in this category

Back to Previous Page

Ask Kim

A Tax-Friendly Way to Get Income for Life

[Question]I heard that you can use $130,000 in an IRA to buy a deferred-income annuity without having...

Minimum Age for Tax-Free IRA Gifts to Charity

[Question]I'm 69 years old, and I'm trying to determine if I can transfer money from my IRA to charity...

How Tracking Rewards Good Drivers

[Question] My insurer offers a data-tracking program that gives a discount based on my driving habits...

How New Grads Can Buy Health Insurance

[Question]My daughter just graduated from college and doesn't yet have a job that offers health...

Sales Tax Holidays for Hurricane-Prep (and...

[Question]I know that many states have sales tax holidays during the summer to pay for back-to-school...

Next Page >
Provided by Kiplinger