Ask Kim


How to Undo a Roth IRA Contribution If Your Income Is Too High
[QUESTION]I know I can't undo conversions from a traditional IRA to a Roth anymore. But what if I contribute to a Roth and then discover my income is too high? -J.C., East Lansing, Mich.

[ANSWER]Even though the new tax law prohibits people from undoing a conversion they made from a traditional IRA to a Roth after December 31, 2017 (called recharacterizing), you can still recharacterize a Roth contribution and move the money to a traditional IRA.

SEE ALSO: New Tax Law 2018: Test Your Tax Smarts

You can contribute to a Roth IRA if your modified adjusted gross income in 2018 is less than $135,000 if you're single or $199,000 if you file jointly. If you contribute to a Roth but your income is too high, you can ask your IRA administrator to move your Roth contribution (and any earnings on it, which your administrator will calculate) into a traditional IRA before the deadline to file your tax return for the year of your contribution.


Copyright 2018 The Kiplinger Washington Editors

More from

See more stories in this category

Back to Previous Page

Ask Kim

How Your Home Sale Will Be Taxed

[Question]I'm thinking about selling my house and then renting for a while. Will I have to pay higher...

Shopping for a 529 Plan for a Grandchild

[Question]My husband and I live in Virginia, and our grandson lives in Utah. What is the best way to...

5 Last-Minute Ways to Cut Your Tax Bill

[Question]We forgot to make the $6,000 catch-up contribution to my husband's 401(k) in 2017, even...

Calculating Taxes on Social Security Benefits

[Question]How do I calculate what portion of my Social Security benefits is taxable?[Answer]If your...

How Much Can You Contribute to a Health...

[Question]I was working part-time for the first few months of 2017 and bought my own high-deductible...

Next Page >
Provided by Kiplinger